Far more than just bed and breakfast and not merely a guest house -
a holiday at the historic South Lighthouse on Fair Isle is an experience not to be missed!
For a magical 'get-away-from-it-all' break you'll long remember visit lovely Fair Isle
(picture Sumburgh Search and Rescue)
and stay at its iconic South Lighthouse. Where, on a dramatic rocky peninsula surrounded by sea and sky, you can unwind as you experience the comfortable accommodation, excellent food and warm hospitality that is the hallmark of this remote landmark.
For more than a century the lighthouse has withstood the onslaught of ferocious Atlantic storms and even air raids - yet it remains a bright, peaceful haven; the perfect base from which to explore fabulous Fair Isle.
Experience a friendly welcome with lashings of good, home cooked food - much of which is locally produced and sourced.
Discover the fascination and quiet beauty of Britain's remotest inhabited island from within, as a member of its small, friendly and vibrant community.
High speed satellite broadband available for use by guests and excellent mobile phone reception.
Fair Isle is the most unspoilt part of the Shetland Isles, recently voted by Lonely Planet as one of the Top 10 places to visit - in the world!
Fair Isle itself is No. 5 in the National Geographic list of the world's best islands
FULL BOARD ACCOMMODATION 2016
(These prices are for accommodation and all meals)
- £60 per night for a single room. (£70 if staying one night)
£55 per person per night for a double/twin room. (£65 if staying one night)
Generous family discounts available - please ask!
Special diet premium £15 - one off payment whatever the length of your stay - see below for details.
(It is essential to have booked transport to the island before provisional reservations can be confirmed - see our 'Getting Here!' page for more information.)
Full board accommodation includes -
Choice of breakfast
Packed lunch or light lunch taken at the lighthouse
Full evening meal
Tea, coffee etc
Free access to the isle's only unlimited high speed broadband
A free taxi service on arrival and departure
Vegetarian, vegan, gluten/dairy free or other specialist menus can be provided, just mention your requirements when booking - and please read this next section
Fair Isle's tiny, remote community lives a very long way from its nearest supermarket and specialist food items have to be ordered - often at a premium. We therefore will add a single payment of £15, irrespective of length of stay, to the bill of guests requiring a specific diet.
Whilst Shetland's world class meat and fish are readily available locally and comparatively inexpensive most other food items need to be brought in and as a result often cost more than on the Mainland.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION AND BOOKING
or ring: 07752566231 (+447752566231 from outside the UK)
WE CANNOT ACCEPT PAYMENT BY DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD
(Cash, UK Cheques and Money transfer are all acceptable)
- PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS NEXT BIT!!
Fair Isle enjoys many 21st Century comforts but it can still catch out the unwary. The island is genuinely remote and weather changes rapidly; every summer it is sometimes cut off for a day or two, at which times you will be unable to get onto the isle - or off!
- Travellers with tickets valid for a specific journey should allow for delays.
- Those exploring Shetland should visit Fair Isle early in their holiday
- You may wish to consider travel insurance.
- If you need to get back on time - don't come!
- Don't cram too much into one holiday, allow plenty of leeway.
- Finally, never chance it - always travel with a plan B!!
(Note that The Good Shepherd and DirectFlight only charge for journeys undertaken and will carry you on their next available service.)
- Mobile (cell phone) reception at the lighthouse is good but only the O2 and Vodaphone networks will work on Fair Isle - whatever your operator may say!
- There is no electricity between 11.30pm and 7.30am
- You will not be charged for the nights you have been unable to reach Fair Isle due to bad weather but extra nights stayed will be charged at the standard rate
- Dogs are not generally allowed as the lighthouse is in open sheep country
Portrait of the South Lighthouse by Fair Isle artist, the late Stewart Wilson
Mobile : 07752566231
(if no answer please send a brief text message)
On Fair Isle it is now-
Many thanks to Tommy Hindman for the banner photo - for more of his work see www.fairisle.blogspot.com