Sunrise/sunset, tide times etc.
Where is Fair Isle?
Fair Isle shipping forecast
Fair Isle knitwear
In Memoriam - Lise Sinclair
Fair Isle is famous for its birdlife and every year is visited by ornithologists and birdwatchers from all over the world -
but you'll need no more than a general interest in wildlife to see why the island has gained its international reputation
1. Just some of the several thousand puffins around the Fair Isle coast.
2. The Fair Isle wren - unique to the island.
3. A gannet from above. Fair isle is home to a large colony of these birds
4. A Great Skua - locally known as a Bonxie.
5. Shags are a common sight around the coast.
6. The island is regularly visited by flocks of crossbills.
7. The island's wheatear population is currently being studied by the University of Cardiff
The Fair Isle mouse, a large wood mouse, is found nowhere else and has the distinction of being the only mammal truly native to the island.
but you will also find these
and even 64 of these!
In addition large numbers of seals inhabitat the waters around the lighthouse and whales can often be seen close to the shore at the south end of the island.
For those interested in particular aspects of the local wildlife a free Ranger service is available (including a welcome pack) is available for all visitors to the isle.
or information on how to stay here please see our home page
South Lighthouse, Fair Isle - E
mail: email@example.com (